Modifying wp-mobile to create content that validates as XHTML-MP

Yesterday, I wrote a post about using Alex King’s WordPress Mobile Edition plugin (wp-mobile) to generate WordPress content formatted for the mobile web. wp-mobile makes the code generation seamless; however I did have a few issues when I came to validating the output at the ready.mobi site. After a few hours (remember, I’m an infrastructure bod and my coding abilities are best described as weak) I managed to tweak the wp-mobile theme to produce code that validates perfectly.

Screen grab from the ready.mobi report for this website

The changes that I made to the wp-mobile index.php file can be seen at Paul Dixon’s PHP pastebin but are also detailed below:

  1. Add an XHTML Mobile Profile (XHTML-MP) document type descriptor: <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//WAPFORUM//DTD XHTML Mobile 1.0//EN" "http://www.wapforum.org/DTD/xhtml-mobile10.dtd">. Incidentally, I didn’t include an XML declaration (which looks like: <?xml version="1.0" charset="UTF-8" ?>) as it kept on generating unexpected T_STRING PHP errors and it seems that it is not strictly necessary if the UTF-8 character set is in use:

    “An XML declaration is not required in all XML documents; however XHTML document authors are strongly encouraged to use XML declarations in all their documents. Such a declaration is required when the character encoding of the document is other than the default UTF-8 or UTF-16 and no encoding was determined by a higher-level protocol.”

    W3C recommendation for XHTML 1.0

  2. Add some caching controls: <?php header ("Cache-Control: max-age=10 "); ?>. 10 seconds is a little on the low side but it can be changed later and it means that the caching is unlikely to affect testing of subsequent changes.
  3. Remove <meta name="HandheldFriendly" value="true" />: this code doesn’t appear to do anything and is not valid XHTML-MP – media="handheld" can be used instead when linking the stylesheet (see below).
  4. Change the stylesheet link method: although <style type="text/css">@import url("<?php print(get_stylesheet_uri()); ?>"); </style> should work, I found that the validator was only completely satisfied with the form <link href="<?php print(get_stylesheet_uri()); ?>" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="handheld" />.
  5. Provide access keys using accesskey="key" inside the <a> tag for each of the main menu items.
  6. Surround <?php ak_recent_posts(10); ?> with <ul> and </ul> tags – this bug took the most time to track down and was the final change necessary to make the markup validate as XHTML-MP.

I also made some minor changes in order to fit my own page design (adding a legal notice, etc.) but in order to get the elusive 100% in the report for this site, there was one minor tweak required to style.css: removal of the height: 1px; rule for <hr>. I understand why it was there but the validator didn’t like it, suggesting that relative units should be used instead (I would argue that 1px is far more logical for a horizontal rule than the use of relative units but this change resulted in another pass on the report).

Right, enough of these mobile diversions – I’d better focus my development efforts on getting the rest of this site to be fully XHTML compliant…

Leave a Reply