Regular readers may have noticed that this site is looking a little… different… right now.
Unfortunately, my hosting provider told me last night that they had a disk failure on the server. Normally that wouldn’t be a problem (that’s why servers have redundant components right? Like RAID on the disks?) but it seems this “server” is just a big PC. I can’t get too mad though… the MySQL database backup scripts have been failing for a month and it was my sloppyness that didn’t chase that up, and it was me who hadn’t made sure I had a recent copy of the file system…
So, as things stand:
- I think I have restored all posts
from 2004 until almost the end of August 2011; I need to restore the later posts and comments (using copies from FeedBlitz, Google Reader, etc.); There are no plugins (so things look odd);Some of the plugins have been reinstalled (but things may still look odd); There are no graphics (they were hosted outside WordPress)I’ve restored allmost of the graphics and other external media but there are still some I need to track down;
- I have not restored the theme (
so I’m using the WordPress defaults andthere is no mobile theme); The theme I’m using does not specify UTF-8 encoding so lots of Â characters;Still some spurious characters appearing on some pages…
- There are
nofewer ads (which you might be happy about, but I do still need to pay the bills).
Please bear with me whilst I get things back… it may take some time as it needs to fit in between other activities but it might also be a good thing (new theme has been long overdue and I might even get smarter about my backups…).
And, if you spot another problem, please let me know.
[Updated at various points as the site has been restored]