Internet Explorer crashes when editing lists in SharePoint datasheet view

Recently, I found I was experiencing issues when editing lists in SharePoint.  After switching to datasheet view, Internet Explorer displayed a message which said:

Internet Explorer has stopped working

Windows is checking for a solution to the problem…

then:

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

IE then attempts to reload before presenting a page that gives more information:

It seems that Windows Data Execution Prevention (DEP) detected an add-on trying to use system memory incorrectly, so I took a look at the DEP settings but everything seemed in order.

Eventually I tracked the problem down to cells that contained HTML code (for a dashboard that I created in SharePoint), being mis-interpreted as a malicious exploit.  I created a new view, minus the columns containing HTML and was able to edit without any browser crashes.  It’s a bit of a nuisance but it seems to work…

Given the choice, I wouldn’t be using Internet Exploder anyway but, as this is SharePoint 2007, I don’t have a lot of choice (I understand that cross-browser support is a lot better in later SharePoint releases).

Leave a Reply