A few weeks ago, I wrote a blog post about controlling OneDrive for Business syncing to prevent data copies on non-domain-joined PCs. Since then, I’ve had to add a post script to highlight a known issue with domain joined PCs failing to sync OneDrive for Business, even when added to a safe list, which is fixed by the 12 May 2015 update for OneDrive for Business (see Microsoft knowledge base article 2986244).
I also wrote in that post about problems setting storage quotas in OneDrive for Business using
Set-SPOSite -Identity https://tenantname-my.sharepoint.com/personal/firstname_lastname_tenantname_onmicrosoft_com -StorageQuota 2048
Set-SPOSite : Cannot get site https://tenantname-my.sharepoint.com/personal/firstname_lastname_tenantname_onmicrosoft_com.
At line:1 char:1
+ Set-SPOSite -Identity
+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Set-SPOSite], ServerException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.ServerException,Microsoft.Online.SharePoint.PowerShell.SetSite
After raising a service request with Microsoft (which took over a week to be escalated after a few days of the initial team failing to resolve it) and then engaging the Microsoft Onboarding Center instead, I finally got to the bottom of the issue. The problem was that Site Collection Storage Management in SharePoint Online was set to Automatic. Once this was changed to Manual, I could successfully apply the quotas to users’ OneDrive for Business sites.
As well as using PowerShell (
Get-SPOSite -Identity https://tenantname-my.sharepoint.com/personal/firstname_lastname_tenantname_onmicrosoft_com), you can check the current storage quota in the browser, under Site settings, Storage Metrics:
Unfortunately this setting has to be applied on a per-user basis, after the user has already logged on to OneDrive for Business (which provisions the storage).