Since our company switched Expenses systems from Xero to Concur a few months ago, I’ve been having a monthly rant about the amount of time it takes to submit an expense claim (typically 3-4 hours a month).
There are a few tips though that can help with the form-filling. And I am trying to spread the load by doing things as I go…
- First up, use the ExpenseIt app. This goes further than the normal Concur apps by performing some analysis on a picture of a receipt and pre-populating some of the metadata for the claim. It’s not perfect, but after photographing a pile of receipts I can make some edits in the app whilst travelling/watching TV/in a couple of minutes whilst waiting for a conference call to start and then bulk upload.
- Once the expenses are in exported to Concur, I bulk edit as much as I can. Fields like project code, business purpose and customer name can be edited for several receipts at once.
- Receipts that arrive electronically (e.g. PDFs of parking receipts, train bookings, etc.) can be emailed to email@example.com – and as long as they come from your registered email address they will be available automatically for attaching to a claim.
- Mileage claims for journeys can be bulk-entered from the quick expenses form.
- If at this point there are any receipts that have warnings, there’s no getting away from the need to individually edit them and add things like the type of meal.
It’s still far from streamlined… but a few tips like this save me a lot of time. Sadly the ExpenseIt app is not available for Windows Phone…