SharePoint datasheet mode crashes Internet Explorer

This content is 12 years old. I don't routinely update old blog posts as they are only intended to represent a view at a particular point in time. Please be warned that the information here may be out of date.

Back in the summer I wrote about creating dashboards in SharePoint using some borrowed JavaScript in a webpart to display calculate columns of HTML.  I needed to create another dashboard recently, so I reused my old technique but then, today, I found that I could no longer edit my list in SharePoint’s Datasheet mode.  Each time I tried, Internet Exploder crashed, blaming the problem on the Data Execution Prevention (DEP) functionality that is meant to prevent malicious code from being executed in memory.

Of course, being SharePoint (well, on 2007 at least), I couldn’t use an alternative browser but I was pretty sure the issue was related to the HTML generated an placed in a calculated column in my list. By creating a new view that excluded the problematic column (i.e. the one containing  the HTML), I was able to edit as normal, without a browser crash.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.