Earlier this week I was at a workshop where Microsoft Consulting Services described their potential to engage with clients/partners on five levels, using a sporting analogy
- Owner: full responsibility from design to implementation and go live.
- Manager: lead in design and control – architect designs and have user experience lead, lead developer, lead test.
- Player: Provide consultants for key point activities.
- Coach: Work alongside individuals with a particular focus on skills transfer and mentoring.
- Commentator: Review designs, plans, code, scripts.
Someone suggested it’s actually a football analogy and doesn’t work for their sport (Rugby Union) but I disagree. Regardless, the real point is that the relationship can work at one of a number of levels. Would be interesting to hear what people who’ve engaged with MCS feel about this though…