Continuing the series on licensing Microsoft software, in this post I look at the various security products that Microsoft offers. Many of these products are the result of acquisitions, so it may help to look at the old and new product names:
- Sybari Antigen is now integrated into Forefront Server Security and Forefront Client Security.
- FrontBridge services are now sold as Exchange Hosted Services (EHS).
- The Whale Communications product is now offered as Internet Access Gateway (IAG).
- Sybari Antigen Enterprise Manager has become the Forefront Server Security Management Console.
The Forefront security products make use of multiple anti-virus engines, with five engines included in the base cost (CA InnoculateIT, CA VET, Microsoft Antivirus, Norman DataDefense and Sophos) and four more optional engines available (AhnLabs, Authentium, Kaspersky and Virus Busters). Included within the Forefront Security Suite is:
- Forefront Client Security.
- Forefront Client Security Management Console.
- Forefront Security for Exchange Server.
- Forefront Security for SharePoint.
- Forefront Server Security Security Management Console.
All products are offered on a subscription basis although the Enterprise CAL (ECAL) suite includes the Forefront Security Suite with no extra licensing requirements.
The Exchange Enterprise CAL is also available to Select and Enterprise customers with services included, adding Forefront for Exchange Server and Exchange Hosted Filtering to the Exchange Enterprise CAL. This option is not available with retail licensing or to Open license customers) and must be taken up on a company-wide basis.
In the next part of this series, I’ll finally move on to take a look at the various methods that are available in order to buy Microsoft software.