When an Office 365 tenant is created with SharePoint Online, several site collections are created. It can be confusing to work out what each is for, so here’s a quick reference, based on the SharePoint 2013 sites – I guess this may change as SharePoint 2016 is rolled out.
- https://tenantname.sharepoint.com – team site for the company – you can always create more, but this is the “top of the tree”.
- https://tenantname.sharepoint.com/portals/community – not sure about the purpose of this one, although I suspect it’s a SharePoint 2013 community forum.
- https://tenantname.sharepoint.com/portals/hub – Office 365 Video.
- https://tenantname.sharepoint.com/search – the search site for the tenant
- https://tenantname-my.sharepoint.com – the site collection for all of the users’ OneDrive for Business sites, each one named https://tenantname-my.sharepoint.com/personal/UPN (with the .s replaced by _s).
Note that the SharePoint URL is one of the few places where the Office 365 tenant name is exposed to users.